[OSGeo-Discuss] Open File Formats and ProprietaryAlgorithms[SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Fri Aug 21 11:32:00 EDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 08:27:13AM -0700, Landon Blake wrote:
> Thanks for the information Michael. I am downloading Opticks right now.
> :]
>
> I also found this Java library for JP2, thought I'm not sure how
> complete/up-to-date it is:
>
> http://jj2000.epfl.ch/
>
> Maybe we need a JPEG 2000 page on the OSGeo wiki.

Note that "JPEG 2000 support" is different from "JPEG 2000 support which
works on geo-sized images." The tiling (or 'paging'? as Michael calls
it) support that's supposed to be provided by OpenJPEG2000 has been
coming 'real soon now' for about 18 months now from my uneducated
observations, and until it's there, most tools using OpenJPEG for JP2s are
going to suffering under much the same limitations.

-- Chris

Christopher Schmidt
Web Developer