[OSGeo-Discuss] Open File FormatsandProprietaryAlgorithms[SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Michael P. Gerlek mpg at lizardtech.com
Fri Aug 21 14:57:51 EDT 2009

> Someone earlier in this thread spoke about some of these technologies
> being somewhat obsolete what with the new network and bandwidth speeds
> available for publishing.

I think the comment was that by hiding the data behind a server, you can reduce the users' exposure to a myriad of file formats, some possibly proprietary.  It's a good point.

You still need to store the data on the servers, though, so the technologies themselves are by no means obsolete -- it's just a question of who has to deal with them.

-mpg