[OSGeo-Discuss] Open Source Lurkers

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Fri Aug 21 22:53:43 EDT 2009

I've been a moderator for a commercial desktop mapping forum for more
than 10 years and this behavior is quite common. I think it has more to
do with how people adapt to a social network than it has to do with
anything unique in the Open Source world. Like Chris mentioned, the
majority of subscribers prefer to lurk below the public visibility
horizon in a way that resembles an iceberg where only the tip remains
above the waterline while the majority of its bulk lurks below.

People lurk for many of the reasons you suggest, but I think the most
common one is that they don't feel expert enough to contribute anything
useful to a thread, and the risk of saying something "stoopid" --in
public... and worse, thus revealing to their GIS/mapping peers the depth
of their ignorance-- is just too embarrassing to contemplate. Especially
when compared with the perceived safety of remaining anonymous in the
shadows where they can drink in new knowledge like free beer while also
being entertained by the interplay of the forum's regularly featured
fools and sages.

If we assume that Maslow was right about what motivates people
(self-interest) then lurking in an open source community and not
participating is exactly the wrong thing to do. If your business depends
on some FOSS tool, then it's in your self-interest to expand the
environment in which it operates as much as possible. Because if what
you sell depends on tools like OpenJUMP, you want OpenJUMP well
supported with a lively user group, a good supply of free data,
technologically competitive, and actively being developed. This is the
key to making money out of bits instead of atoms. If you sell services,
give away the software and the infrastructure of the environment it runs
in. This expands the market for your services and since the tools are
free, the more people who download them the bigger your market share
gets. If you sell software, give away services that leverage it. But if
you lurk and don't contribute to its development or the development of
the environment in which it operates, then you're sort of stepping on
your own air hose.

- Bill Thoen