RE: [OSGeo-Discuss] Open File FormatsandProprietaryAlgorithms[SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Lucena, Ivan ivan.lucena at pmldnet.com
Sat Aug 22 10:30:41 EDT 2009

Hi Landon,

It has been an interesting discussion, algorithms copyrights, most used formats, limitations, internal details, etc. I definitely agree that it got out of control and we should end some place but I and going to give you a quick answer.

>  What are the limitations of Geotiff/JPEG compared with the proprietary alternatives?

- It is lossy (not that JPEG itself can't be lossless. you can search for "libjpeg.doc" for more info).

- It can't store NDVI, Temperature or any other calculated or remotely sensored data in decimal values.

My sincere best regards,

Ivan