[OSGeo-Discuss] Open File Formats and Proprietary Algorithms

"René A. Enguehard" ahugenerd at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 11:04:55 EDT 2009

I agree, primarily because I just got a dataset from the city that was a
5Gb raster. I know hardrive space is cheap and so is processing power
but still, it took literally hours to get anything meaningful out of it.
Picking a more appropriate resolution, better compression and eventually
switching file formats would have helped immensely but wasn't done since
the prevailing attitude is that bigger is better. This attitude is
really the same as in the programming world, where programs keep getting
slower and slower (in terms of time complexity) but it's deemed "okay"
since computers are also getting faster.

I don't think this attitude is going to change any time soon though and
making some form of standard would simply not work. How could we
standardize what resolution and compression we should be using on
specific datasets for specific applications? There are uses we haven't
even thought up yet, how could we standardize for those future uses?

Just my 0.02$