[OSGeo-Discuss] Open File Formats and ProprietaryAlgorithms

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Mon Aug 24 11:09:43 EDT 2009

Bobb wrote: "Here's my reasoning, we're never (ever?) going to hit the
top end on how big files ever get, resolution just keeps going up and
up, so there is always going to be some upper limit that will need to be
breached somehow.  Working out a proper method for segregating the data
up front (dare I say it), as some sort of standard (which can be
adjusted as time passes) will make everything work nicely, then all will
work with available tools when they are available, if tools to handle
larger datasets become available, and the community feels there is a
reason/need that these new larger files need to be handled, then they
get to change the standard."

I agree with some of the points you are making in your argument Bobb.
There is certainly a practical limit to how much you data you should put
in a single file. That is why we have lumber cut to 8 foot lengths. You
don't need a flatbed semi to carry it to your house. :]

When you refer to a standard for splitting data up front, what do you
mean?

It would be interesting to come up with a standard structure on a
computer file system that could be used to accessed tiled raster data,
if this hasn't been done already. One the file system structure was
defined, it would be fairly easy to write open source software that
accessed this structure and provided individual tiles as a service to
desktop GIS applications.

Landon