[OSGeo-Discuss] Open Source Lurkers

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 09:30:57 EDT 2009

Evening Landon:

As you have gathered from the responses thus far that lurkers are
actually the larger part of the user community - and do not really
represent an opportunity to acquire new developers for your project.

The point is that they are part of the user community; and are
probably not in a position or motivation to become part of the
development community.

Some tips for involving them:
- make sure project wiki; issue tracker etc is very open to input

What to do when they email you directly:
- This is a hard one; they are asking for free support; and are too
shy or unable to go to the public email list
- I answer (or point out docs) and remind them that LISAsoft offers
commercial support; and that free support from fellow users is
available on the email lists
- If they have an issue I may turn their issue into an item on the bug
tracker; and invite them to add comments with more details. I find it
easier to show how to make a good bug report  (but other developers
have helpful links about how to make a bug report).

What happens next is kind of up to the reaction...

If they launch into the issue tracker; or user list; and start
interacting with community members:
- if it is a documentation or api question I will write a wiki page
and ask them to review.
- If it is a bug - It is time to start talking about patches; creating
them; attaching them to the bug tracker; and so on.
- The first time I will facilitate this process; often using IRC or
something
- Chances are if they have started down this road they are going to
have a successful open source experience and after a few months (6
months to a year) it is time to start talking to them about commit
access and taking a larger role.

If they persist in contacting me directly:
- If they are contacting me by my work email address - I usually feel
comfortable phoning and/or asking talking to their boss about
commercial support options at this stage :-)
- If they persist in contacting me directly; I will start to CC my
support to a link to all the organizations offering commercial support
as it is not great to advertise).  There is the risk of of course
deeply offending someone and/or getting them in trouble - this is
balanced by the risk of being taken advantage of.
- Chances are If they start down this road I will hook them up with
one of the companies supporting GeoTools (on a good day it will be a
company I work for)

What is fascinating to me is how well some of the distributed version
control technologies are geared towards allowing groups to have a
shadow copy of a project. Maybe I should reword that as an "internal"
version of a project; it is actually  a really good practice; offering
a balance between "Sticking behind on a stable version" vs the risk of
"using the latest". It really provides a programming team to control
the software they are getting from the community at a different pace
then the release cycle; it is also really good in that these teams can
live and breath patches - and can hire you to fix problems.

What is more difficult is explaining about how LGPL means that the
work they do internally needs to come out :-) But that is a topic for
another day ...

Cheers,
Jody