[OSGeo-Discuss] Insurance for contractors?

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Mon Aug 31 13:40:01 EDT 2009

Michael,

I've been toying with the idea of doing some side work in the GIS arena
as a sole-proprietor or an S-Corp. In either case, if I move forward
with this, I would carry some basic business insurance.

Having said that, I can tell you I found it difficult to find a
professional liability insurer that understood the GIS world and was
willing to insure that type of work. I think "typical" business
insurance would be easier to come by.

I can also tell you that insurance requirements are certainly an extra
burden for the sub-consultant. I have been in situations where I
negotiated with a sub on the insurance coverage for a particular
project. (In this case I accepted lower coverage limits.) I have also
been in a situation where my company turned down work as a sub because
of heavy insurance requirements. As Bobb mentioned, the sub has to pass
the cost of that coverage along to the client. You can get a sub with
insurance coverage, but you will pay for it. The more coverage you ask
for, the more you will pay.

Good question.

Landon

Office Phone Number: (209) 946-0268