[OSGeo-Discuss] RE: Insurance for contractors?

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Mon Aug 31 18:56:25 EDT 2009

I've been on all three sides of this issue in Canada as well.

1 - Hiring requirements due to a funding source required insurance prior
to letting a contract - so the one man shop we had previously hired had
to get insurance to remain working with us (prior to OSGeo, I might
add).

2 - I've been on the contractor side in a large firm where we _did_ have
insurance, so it wasn't issue then, but I knew other companies who
couldn't bid on similar work because of it.

3 - I also bid on a project before as an independent contractor only to
find this restrictions as a showstopper (there was no guarantee of the
work, so I wasn't going to spend the money).

At the end of the day, it certainly *felt* like the issue being
addressed was less about professional insurance and more about keeping
independent contractors out of the bidding market.  Sorry to hear you
are hitting it.

Tyler