[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo friendly countries to live in

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Tue Aug 18 07:37:26 PDT 2009

Cameron wrote:

" Canada looks preferable to the US. I wonder how much the Canadian
GeoConnections program is responsible for Canada's strong OSGeo
industry."

I believe governments in Canada are much more supportive of open source
software than governments in the United States. In my experience, the
attitude towards open source software held by many organizations in the
United States is still skeptical, if not hostile.

I believe this may be due in part to successful lobbying and marketing
campaigns by big software companies in the US. We also seem to be more
tolerant of software monopolies than other industrialized nations.
Microsoft's trouble with the EU might be one example demonstrating the
differences in attitude.

Go Canada! (Home of the original JUMP desktop GIS, I might add.) :]

Landon
Office Phone Number: (209) 946-0268
Cell Phone Number: (209) 992-0658