[OSGeo-Discuss] web mapping package

Eric Lemoine eric.lemoine at camptocamp.com
Tue Dec 29 05:49:17 EST 2009

On Tuesday, December 29, 2009, Bob Basques <Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us> wrote:
> John (and others),
>
> I keep forgetting to relay this little tidbit.  GeoMoose is built on top of OpenLayers, so all of it's data sources are theoretically, feasible as datsources as well.
>
> The Map View is all OpenLayers.

Hi everyone

I should first mention that I'm one of the developpers of OpenLayers,
GeoExt and MapFish.

I recently took a quick look at GeoMoose (2.0). From my understanding
GeoMoose provides an OpenLayers-based application that can be
customized by editing configuration files. It provides an
out-of-the-box solution that makes it easy for non-developers to
create web-mapping applications with typical tools (search, measure
distances/areas, etc.). People from GeoMoose, please correct me if my
understanding is wrong or inaccurate.

In contrast, GeoExt doesn't provide an application, it provides a
JavaScript library, based on which developers can create applications.
GeoExt is complementary to OpenLayers, it brings RIA (Rich Internet
Applications) type components, like a layer tree, a legend panel, a
feature grid, etc. I think the GeoExt examples concretely show what
GeoExt provides and how to use GeoExt.

MapFish is a complete framework for creating web-mapping apps. I won't
describe MapFish in detail here, but I just want to make it clear that
MapFish does not either provide an application, it is a framework for
developers to create OpenLayers- and GeoExt-based web-mapping user
interfaces. Basically MapFish provides tools to create
"ready-to-extend" web-mapping apps, and to create web services for
searching and editing geographic objects.

Thanks, and west wishes to all for 2010,

--
Eric Lemoine

Camptocamp France SAS
Savoie Technolac, BP 352