[OSGeo-Discuss] SoC 2009

Wolf Bergenheim wolf+grass at bergenheim.net
Fri Jan 9 17:18:05 EST 2009

Hello,

Happy new year to all and thank you all who made SoC 2008 a roaring
success. :D

Google has announced that SoC *will* run this year but at a reduced
scale. However there is no guarantee that we will be accepted as an
organization. To have a better chance I'd like to get an early start.

So, let's get organized now for SoC 2009. If we can show that we have a
lot of potential students lined up I'm confident that it will help us
get accepted and maybe help us get the projects we want.

The first step would be to invite all who would be interested in
mentoring to sign up to the OSGeo SoC mailing list[1]. At the same time
we should go through last year's ideas page and check off projects that
were done and that are no longer relevant. Once this is done it is time
to start to come up with new ideas. It would be really nice if we could
have a few ideas that cross the project boundaries. Yes I know it can be
difficult. We should also think about talking to other projects that are
somehow related to what we do, projects like PostGIS. Maybe work
together on the Drupal Geo module?[2]

Lets keep the discussion on the soc list so that people who aren't
interested in Soc won't be too much annoyed. ;)

So who's in?

--Wolf

[2] http://drupal.org/project/geo

--