[OSGeo-Discuss] Top ten myths for open source in geo?

Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas xurxosanz at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 01:00:48 PST 2009

2009/1/22 James Fee <james.fee at rsparch.com>:
> [...]

If you undestand Spanish this[1] speech by the chair of the GIS
department of the Barcelona port (on the 2nd Spanish FOSS4g
conference) is really interesting.

It was one of the best presentations I've seen recently and raises all
the fears or doubts (also the good points) he has about Free Software
for a large organization like the BCN port.

Briefly (minute 21 aprox):

* TCO
* Future sustainability of a project (not only for FOSS!)
* Need of professionals on his IT team with expertise on their technologies
* Obsolescence risk (he has a Smallworld system for 14 years)
* He doesn't find a BCN company offering support for FOSS
* He doesn't find good documentation or good training on FOSS
* He finds better admin tools on propietary software

Cheers
[1] http://www.sigte.udg.es/jornadassiglibre2008/blog/?p=32
--
Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas