[OSGeo-Discuss] GIS Patent Applications

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Thu Jul 30 17:00:50 EDT 2009

There are a couple of GIS related patent applications online at
peer-to-patent. I have a hard time understanding patent applications,
but the first seems to deal with using an algorithm to calculate
neighborhood boundaries. The second seems to deal with using GIS
analysis to study damage (or potential damage) to a physical plant,
which could be a utility network according to the patent application.

I'm sure we have people more talented than I at understanding patent
applications. I am willing to help with a review of the patents if
others are interested, but I don't think I am capable of a review on my
own. I wanted to at least make our community aware of the patents.

Geocoding based on neighborhoods and other uniquely defined informal
spaces or geographical regions

http://www.peertopatent.org/patent/20090132469/overview?

Method for analyzing damage to a physical plant

http://www.peertopatent.org/patent/20090132209/activity

Landon

Warning: