[OSGeo-Discuss] fleet management

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Wed Jul 15 12:10:03 PDT 2009

All,

I'm partial to using GeoMoose (for obvious reasons) and the new version (2.x) is built on top of Openlayers for the same reasons described below, the plethora of providers already available.

The Device aspects, I think, need to be addressed from the data perspective, even if some other group is handling that aspect.  We're currently building all the pieces in house for the AVL side that should be able to take into account the differences in the types of location data being collected.  This may of may not be useful for others, but it can be put out to the community if there is interest.  Where this group will need to address things, is how the data should be organized for storage and retrieval.

I'm in the same camp as far as JAVA, never really warmed up to it much.

A big piece (eventually) will be in how to set up things to run semi-portably (at least for our needs), the end product should be able to provide cursory usefulness if cut off from the network, this will entail auto-caching and/or cascading of data to some degree, preferably in an automated way.

bobb

>>> Stephen Woodbridge <woodbri at swoodbridge.com> wrote:

So do we have enough interest to ask for an OSGeo list for this?

I looked at http://opengts.org/ a while back, but Java is not my
favorite platform - just a knowledge and personal preference thing.

It would be nice to build something based on OpenLayers for the mapping
client because that allows great independence and variety of map providers.

The tuff part of all this is dealing with the devices and the
communications changes to get the data feed back into the tracking and
management software. My focus would be to let others deal with that part
and assume that we have various data feeds the we might need to build
software to handle the feeds, and that we focus on the building the
portal application for tracking, reports, and management of resources.

But that is just my two sense. Other thoughts?

-Steve