[OSGeo-Discuss] California Chapter Held First Annual Meeting

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Wed Mar 4 08:58:00 PST 2009

Arnulf,

Thank you for your comments.

You wrote: "The list of chapter members who are "willing to serve as
outreach speakers" could also be extended to the international level. Do
you have any suggestions of how we could organize this?"

I don't have any immediate thoughts on this. Couldn't we have a wiki
page at the international level as well? Or a wiki page that linked to
the list of speakers at each of the chapters. One problem with
organizing international speakers will be travel costs. One advantage of
keeping a list of outreach speakers at local chapters is that travel
costs for the speakers will likely be lower.

Arnulf wrote: " Some questions that come up to my mind are whether
people would be required to have some formal relationship with OSGeo in
order to do this? What level of official endorsement would this mean for
OSGeo? How can we keep this both easy to manage (not do anything) but
prevent having people talk nonsense "in the name of" OSGeo? An informal
list of speakers who are at least recognized by some other OSGeo members
would probably be a good start."

This is a difficult issue that you bring up. I'm not sure what a good
solution is. I'd imagine being involved with a local chapter would be
sufficient "endorsement" by OSGeo. You may find that walking down this
path leads to discussions of what is "nonsense" that aren't very
productive. I understand your concerns, but I don't know how we address
them in a constructive way.

I don't know that this is going to be a real problem. I see I was the
only victim willing to sign up as an outreach speaker at our chapter so
far. :]

Landon
Office Phone Number: (209) 946-0268
Cell Phone Number: (209) 992-0658

cool to see lots of activity in your local chapter. I think the idea of
awarding good geo data stewardship is very good and hopefully some other
local chapters are interested in picking up this idea.

The list of chapter members who are "willing to serve as outreach
speakers" could also be extended to the international level. Do you have
any suggestions of how we could organize this?

Some questions that come up to my mind are whether people would be
required to have some formal relationship with OSGeo in order to do
this? What level of official endorsement would this mean for OSGeo? How
can we keep this both easy to manage (not do anything) but prevent
having people talk nonsense "in the name of" OSGeo? An informal list of
speakers who are at least recognized by some other OSGeo members would
probably be a good start.

Best regards,
Arnulf.

Landon Blake wrote:
> On Saturday, February 21, 2009 the California Chapter held its first
> annual meeting in Davis, California. We had 10 people in attendance.
(I
> want to thank Alex Mandel and the other people at UC Davis for setting
> up the meeting and hosting it.)
>

> I wanted to share two (2) things that developed during the meeting
with
> everyone on the discuss list, since the ideas might be used by other
> local chapters.
>

> We talked about putting together a list of chapter members that would
be
> willing to serve as outreach speakers to other professional groups and
> societies. You can view this list (which is just starting) on this
wiki
> page: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/California/Outreach_Speakers
>

> We also decided the chapter would give an annual award to a public
> agency or other organization in California that we wanted to recognize
> for efforts to promote free and open access to California geodata.
This
> idea is still taking shape, but I think the final award will be a
framed
> certificate and letter. (Something that would look nice hanging on the
> wall.) I hope to start the design of the letter and certificate soon,
so
> if others wanted to help, I'd appreciate that. The idea of the award
is
> to reward and encourage good geo data stewardship in California. You
can
> see the wiki page for the award here:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/California/Geodata_Access_Award
>

> Landon
>

> Warning:
> Information provided via electronic media is not guaranteed against
defects including translation and transmission errors. If the reader is
not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
prohibited. If you have received this information in error, please
notify the sender immediately.

Arnulf Benno Christl
http://www.osgeo.org
(OSGeo Board Member)