[OSGeo-Discuss] case studies on FOSS Geo for local governance

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 00:28:10 PDT 2009

Hi,

We are looking for case studies/success stories in deploying FOSS Geo
for local government.  I earnestly believe that FOSS tools are
available for adoption in local government.  Critical is how to
integrated them to a provincial/city wide government IT
infrastructure.  In the Philippines, geospatial technologies are often
used in:

property/parcel tax mapping
zoning
development planning

However, in most cases these "domains" are "loosely" integrated.
Sometimes the GIS in the planning division doesn't "communicate" with
the assesor's office in terms of data management.  What we are looking
for are stories that integrate FOSS GEO tools in the overall IT
infrastructure.  I know some of the strategies maybe "institutional"
rather than technical in nature.

What technologies do we need (dbase managment, server, desktop apps)?
How do we provide capacity to local government staff?
How do we integrate the data into planning?

Any ideas?

--
cheers,
maning