[OSGeo-Discuss] GIS_Libraries

Daniel Ames amesdani at isu.edu
Tue May 5 12:33:40 EDT 2009

IANAL either, but I do read wikipedia. So by way of clarification...
Everything I've read makes a clear distinction between GPL and LGPL such
that GPL code can not be embedded in or linked to a closed source
application. Period. Whereas L-GPL licensed code can be linked to a closed
source application.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Lesser_General_Public_License

So if the individual wants to link to GPL licensed code/libraries and is
willing to make his code GPL then fine. He can still run a commercial
business based on this code, as many people do.

But if he wants to keep his code under some closed-source license then he can
not link to or embed any GPL licensed code or library.

- Dan