[OSGeo-Discuss] New to the list & A question

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Wed May 6 10:47:03 EDT 2009

Welcome Andy,

Between many of us, we are familiar with all the technologies you
mention, so you've come to right place.  Although the MapServer users
mailing list may be able to help more specifically on MapServer
questions.

Just a few quick notes for you before someone with real experience
addressing your problems writes.
* You should be able to add support for ArcSDE datasets into GDAL/OGR
for accessing the data in MapServer.  But you may find you have to
recompile GDAL/OGR from scratch or in some cases add in a module.
I'm not 100% on the process here as I haven't done it exactly.
* ECW support is handled in a similar way to the above.  I suggest
you search the GDAL/OGR (http://gdal.org) mailing list archives or
the ECW page on the OGR data formats web page.  It might be as simple
as dropping in a .so file somewhere.
* The best alternatives to ArcSDE is likely to be PostgreSQL database
with the PostGIS spatial extension.
* For ECW alternatives it's not a simple move as the two main
compression technologies are proprietary - the main other being
Lizardtech's MrSID format.  You might find you can still use ECW or
MrSID depending on your specific needs.  Otherwise you could move to
the open JPEG2000 format that still provides good compression, though
from my own experience it seems to have a higher overhead for
decompressing the data (it's likely improved since my last time using
it).

Hope that helps.  Like I said, others here are experts on particular
components so they will likely pop up with real solutions rather than
my hot air ;-)

Best wishes,
Tyler