[OSGeo-Discuss] Comparision between MapServer/OpenLayers and ESRI ArcIMS

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Tue May 26 16:04:46 PDT 2009

I need to make a case for developing a map and data server using Open
Source software such as MapServer, Open Layers, PostgereSQL/PostGIS to
counter a proposal to go with ESRI's solutions. The client who this
would be directed to manages a lot of land parcels on which some
development is planned. As part of the support for this, the object is
to build an Internet-accessible server that maintains about 800Gb of
spatial and tabular data, that can provide interactive maps of the
properties, data downloads of selected areas and layers in shapefile,
AutoCAD and other formats. It also needs to generate 3D surfaces from
dense LiDAR data that's available. It also needs a database cataloging
system that can be searched for data held in the system. Finally, it
needs to provide different access privileges to various personnel who
will be using restricted data sets.

So what I need are some *current* facts about what packages are needed
to do this completely with ESRI software and what it will cost. Have
any  of you had to address this 800-lb gorilla problem recently and do
you have any advice or facts I can use? I have to  present my case to
people who don't know much about GIS so I think price  is going to be my
best argument. So far, all I've been able to ascertain  is that an
Internet license for ArcIMS costs about $9 - $10K per dual  core machine
per year. Is that true? And don't you also need ArcSDE for the  database
connection, and some Arc3D for surface generation from LiDAR  and copies
of ArcGIS all around, and is data downloading even available  through
ArcIMS? What functionality comes "out-of-the-box" with ESRI's tools that
meets what I've listed above? Is there something in the ESRI stable that
can maintain differential, password-protected user access? How much
would still have to be developed? And what about training and staff to
maintain the system? What's that cost?

If anyone has answers to any of these questions I'd be grateful if you
could give me some facts. As it stands I can put those questions out for
consideration, but I'd like to know the answers too.

Thanks,
- Bill Thoen