[OSGeo-Discuss] Videos from FOSS4G2009 posted

Andrew Ross grof at rogers.com
Wed Nov 4 10:44:57 PST 2009

Hi Everyone,

First, let me thank Chuck Thibert, Scott Mitchell, and Alex Djioev. Their
dedication as volunteers to record the talks at FOSS4G2009 has made this
possible. Thank you so much guys, you were an absolute pleasure to work with
and it was nice to have people you could have absolute faith in doing the
recording.

Thank you to Thanh Ha for developing the capture software. It is 100% open
source based in case anyone is interested and would like to check it out.

Also, I'd like to thank Daniel, Steve and the I.T. & A/V teams for making
our jobs easy. We've done a lot of events and this was clearly the best in
terms of A/V setup and know-how. Nice job and very impressive!

Last but not least, thank you to Cameron for having faith and pushing
through with letting FOSSLC record the talks. We both got a few more grey
hairs no doubt but we came out with good results and a few laughs along the
way. ;-)

OK, so what is the fuss about? For those of you that could not make it to
FOSS4G2009, or perhaps those that missed talks from another room due to
conflict, there's a decent chance we have the talk you're looking for.
PLEASE NOTE: We did not get enough volunteers to staff all 5 rooms every
day.. Typically we recorded 3 or 4 rooms per day. Thus there are a number of
talks we're missing. Despite this, there are still over a hundred talks
recorded including the audio and what the speaker showed to the screen.

You can view the talks by visiting http://fosslc.org. We'll be embedding
them and posting them there a few each day. You can also view them directly
by visiting blip.tv - and visiting the fosslc channel. We hope to find
someone to help us update the event schedule page and include links to the
videos from there as that's a convenient way to browse the
talks/abstracts/speakers biographies.

The talks are licensed under the creative commons share alike + attribution
license. Thus you can embed them in any web site. We encourage you to do so.

FOSSLC 3 conferences simultaneously that week and thus there were a lot of
emails and logistics to worry about. For any speakers that did not wish
their talk to be posted, and it slipped through the cracks and is posted -
please contact me personally at aross at fosslc dot org and I will remove it
immediately. For speakers that did wish their talk to be recorded and
available and have not yet completed the release form, please do so as soon
as possible. The release form is available online here:
http://www.fosslc.org/drupal/uploads/fosslc_release_form_v5.2.pdf

Last, we humbly ask your support to allow FOSSLC to keep doing what it does
and making great open source content available on demand and support open
source communities. For those that enjoy the videos, please consider
donating $10 or more to FOSSLC. FOSSLC is an incorporated non-profit run by
volunteers and thus all proceeds go directly to recording events,
subsidizing events in developing areas, covering bandwidth and
infrastructure costs, creating internships to develop open source code, and
other activities benefiting the open source community. Even if you
registered and attended the conference, you can view talks you missed so
please consider donating. Thank you kindly in advance.

If you are interested in collaborating with FOSSLC on an event or recording
an open source event in your area, please feel free to contact events at
fosslc dot org.

Thank you,

--
Andrew