[OSGeo-Discuss] Next 5 years for OSGeo

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Fri Oct 2 09:04:58 PDT 2009

Ian,

there were many responses already but let me add mine:

  I have been fortunate to have a different experience
(maybe due the the fact that NCSU has a strong open source community
thanks to RedHat headquarters here on campus - and they are doing
very well).

There were two core things that made the difference:

- I teach the Geospatial modeling and analysis class with both ArcGIS
and GRASS
which turned out to be very useful because the students can quickly
learn what is software implementation issue and what is core/principles.
Many students take the class to learn GRASS and open source in general,
but at the same time they get the "industry standard".

- availability of easy to install winGRASS - I used to dismiss the
huge effort that
it takes to get GRASS working on MSWindows (why bother?), but that
allows
our sysadmins to install it easily everywhere and students can
install it easily
on their laptops as well where they also run ArcGIS which they need
for other classes.
And I also have students running GRASS on Macs - here the binary
helps a lot too,
and they see the merits of portability when compared to ArcGIS.

So where we are now?

- the course has been just approved as a permanent course (quite a
procedure
as you know)
- it is a mandatory course for the graduate GIST certificate and
Professional MS in GIST -
so anybody with certificate or MS in GIST from NCSU gets some
exposure to
open source software (I try to go beyond GRASS)
- we just started to offer it through Distance education, so even
people who are not
enrolled at NCSU as full time students can take it
- and the most important - open source software is being added to
other GIST
courses that used to be exclusively Arc oriented

So - there is a hope!
No question that it has been a challenge to teach GRASS to people
who have 10 year experience working with ArcGIS, so I take my students
as heroes for their persistence and staying in class and learning the
new stuff
(we use nviz a lot to make it more fun), but I see great
opportunities at universities
when open source is offered along with the industry standard products
and merged seamlessly into existing curricula.

So this is very much in line with what Martin has written and I can
confirm
that there is a lot of interest in diversity of approaches, tools and
ideas -
apparently even as we are an ocean apart we are on the same wavelength,

Helena