[OSGeo-Discuss] Next 5 years for OSGeo

Eric Wolf ebwolf at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 08:56:41 PDT 2009

As Ian said, the Universities are stuck in a vicious circle. Believe it or
not, faculty do try to teach a GIScience that is independent of any
particular software package. But the perspective ends up being that ESRI
provides both the tools and teaching materials in a consistent manner. If
the faculty is focusing on software-independent ideas, then using the most
readily available software makes their (and their lab managers' jobs
easier).
What is sorely missing is a suite of teaching materials for FOSS4G. Most of
the books for FOSS4G are written for programmers. If you've ever gotten near
a GIS course homed in a Geography Department, you know that the students
taking the course are decidedly not programmers. (In fact, this is also how
ESRI entrenches their software - by enable a massive array of functionality
without relying on actual programming).

I surely don't need another project right now, but I've been trolling to
find a co-author to create a cookbook-style Python geoprocessing book that
uses GDAL/OGR and other FOSS libraries. This would be considered a text for
a fairly advanced GIS course.

As for teaching labs, I think we are developing a good experience-base with
the OpenGeo LiveDVD. I used that DVD for the workshop I lead at GIS in the
Rockies on GeoServer. It worked brilliantly for a simple workshop like that.
What's missing is the ability to save the state. University labs frequently
require multiple sessions to get through and build on one another - unlike
the OpenGeo GeoServer workshop that can be cranked out in 45 minutes and is
done.

Maybe we should focus on a GIS on a stick product rather than a LiveDVD?

-Eric

Eric B. Wolf                    New! 720-334-7734
USGS Geographer
Center of Excellence in GIScience
PhD Student
CU-Boulder - Geography