[OSGeo-Discuss] looking for introductory material on cartography

nimalika fernando nimalikaf at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 03:06:23 PDT 2009

Hi,

I was involved in doing some introductory level GIS unit ( not for geography
people) in Asia last year.
Once I was asked to do that course, I faced the same situation as you. We
are working under very tight cost constraints and cannot use costly material
or ask people to use such.
I have prepared some presentations for the course  with lot of supporting
material from freely available web resources/ diagrams etc. That does not
cover sufficient level of GPS surveying .

There are few basic level tutorials I have prepared  on using software to
prepare maps also. I have used QGIS /Udig as the software.

Do you like to have a look at them ?

If so I may be able to provide an access code for this material available in
their website.  You may use them if useful for your purpose.
Goodluck!

Nimalika

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 2:35 PM, G. Allegri <giohappy at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm going to teach a course (mostly as volunteer time) on GIS basics
> and GPS surveying for an ONG in Africa. The first two days they will
> self-teach cartography basics, then I'll begin from GIS, etc. They
> asked me if I could indicate them some links to free introductory
> material on cartography (earth shape, coordinates, maps, reference
> systems, projections, etc.).
> Does anybody know web resources, or could share copyleft
> tutorials/manuals/etc on the subject? I've found something googling,
> from wikipedia to some sparse course chapters, but I would like to
> find structured, clean and easy, stuff. Am I asking too much?
>
> Thanks very much,
> Giovanni

Nimalika Fernando
http://nimalika.blogspot.com/