[OSGeo-Discuss] Documenting GIS Data Models (Again): Using DXF

Craig Miller craig.miller at spatialminds.com
Wed Sep 9 15:29:15 PDT 2009

Rupert Essinger designed a visual GIS workflow language in 1991.
http://www.ncgia.ucsb.edu/Publications/Tech_Reports/91/91-6.pdf

Max Egenhofer designed an entire Direct manipulation UI around Map Algebra.
http://www.spatial.maine.edu/~max/MapAlgebraSurvey.pdf

Both might be inspiring to someone wishing to have a formal framework for
documenting GIS workflow in a simple and intuitive way.

I'm still unclear on what type of GIS data models the original poster wants
to document as Smallworld, ArcGIS, GRASS, and others all have quite
different approaches to modeling.

If it's OO data, etc then UML class diagrams work great and don't need to be
heavy.  In software dev there are many tools that keep the data models in
sync with the code, there is no reason why the same thing couldn't be
created for GIS data modeling.  The diagrams could be GIS independent, with
underlying drivers to read/write data models for particular GIS packages.

If it is a data model, then there are already tools for keeping an
Entity-Relationship Model (ERM) in sync with the data table.  Geometry is
just another data type in the Simple Features view of the world.

Craig

Geospatial Software Architect

Spatial Minds, LLC <http://spatialminds.com/>