[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: Documenting GIS Data Models (Again): Using DXF

Dimitris Kotzinos kotzino at csd.uoc.gr
Thu Sep 10 02:35:27 PDT 2009

Dear Landon,

I also think that the DXF choice, although I understand the familiarity
concern, will at the end prove to be rather cumbersome.
 From the e-mails I read I also support the UML case but if you do not
feel that the OO model is close to what you want to do, you could also
try either E-R as suggested or I would also suggest, since you also want
to capture metadata, a look at the semantic modeling ideas. Also it
might be a good idea to separate some modelling concerns like the
physical storage and the conceptual part.

I suppose that this is not very helpful as it is too generic but it
might be a good idea to look into that.

Best,

Dimitris