[OSGeo-Discuss] Next 5 years for OSGeo

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 20:40:17 PDT 2009

On Sep 14, 2009, at 4:01 PM, Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:

> Hi everyone, a recent chat I was asked about our vision for OSGeo over
> the next 3 and 5 years.  I'd really like to hear thoughts on the
> matter
> and pool a few of the ideas together for further discussions amongst
> committees, projects, chapters and the board.
>
> It's also a good way for the board nominees in the upcoming election
> get a sense of where other members are thinking these days.

My measurement of success for OSGeo and priorities I hope it shares in
the next 3-5 years are the following three items:
- Continued expansion of the local chapters.  Local chapters make
OSGeo real in the sense that mailing lists, websites, and an IRC
channel can't.
- The conference continues uninterrupted for the next five years, and
we start to use it our central fundraising piece.
- Cross-project collaboration, like the journal, osgeo4w, metacrs,
benchmarking, system administration, and geodata continues to be
fostered by us.  From my biased developer's perspective, these have
been OSGeo's biggest accomplishments along with the local chapter
development and consolidation of the conference.

Howard