[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: [mapserver-users] Updated MapServer flyer

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Tue Sep 15 06:38:14 PDT 2009

All,

OK, probably a weird idea, but. . . . while looking for the brochure mentioned here (only found the old one so far . . .came into the thread in the middle) . . .a thought occurred to me.   Why not make this project brochure creation thing a step in the incubation process.  Use some sort of basic template and each project has it's own brochure.

bobb

Steve Lime schrieb:
> Hi Lars, thanks for working up an updated brochure, looking at the old one
> it could use it. Some comments...
>
>   - I think I'd avoid the MapServer website screen shot in favor of another
> app. The website text features the security fix announcements which while
> a reality in a project aren't marketing friendly. I can offer a couple of sites
> as could others I bet. I like your example, nice and colorful.

If someone could point me to MapServer powered sites, I'll update the
screenshot in the flyer.

>   - Perhaps the screen shots could be a bit taller, more of a square aspect
> ratio?

Ok, I'll take a further look.

>   - Under features it might make sense to highlight output options: all sorts
> of raster images, PDF, SWF, SVG and templated text
>
>   - Might include input and the new output plugin architectures as features
>
>   - The "Leverages best-of-breed" sentence could be reworked to say we
> leverage other OSGeo projects including GDAL, GEOS, PostGIS and Proj.4. I
> think we should really emphasize the reliance on other OSGeo projects.
>
>   - In the last feature sentence I think MapBuilder can be removed. There are
> some frameworks specific to (or that at least favor) MapServer (e.g. p.mapper
> and GeoMoose) that could get some love here...

Thanks for this info. I'm putting it in.

> I think the 5.6 features are performance centric (raster rendering improvements,
> single pass, etc...). The 6.0 release *should* have a more output-based focus
> with full support for the rendering plugin, new object structures including
> references, better SLD support, styles within labels and so on. XML mapfiles
> will be in 5.6. It's important to note that XML mapfiles allow users to define
> a configuration in XML but you must transform it to a .map file for use. I hope
> that might really have an impact on wysiwyg editors eventually.

Sounds like an interesting roadmap, I'll spread the word... ;)

Lars