[OSGeo-Discuss] Next 5 years for OSGeo

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Tue Sep 15 08:26:11 PDT 2009

Rene wrote: "If we
were to produce a comprehensive suite of tools offering the standard
analytical tools as well as some more advanced ones, then these
proprietary offerings wouldn't look as appealing. Moreover, if we had a
consolidated toolset which could be used on a multitude of project we
would not have to re-invent the wheel for each separate project.
Currently, proprietary software generally offers advanced analytic
capability out-of-the-box and open source software does not. I see this
as a bit of a stumbling block."

These are good comments Rene, but I think it is good to consider this issue in the context of our overall strategy to "compete" with proprietary GIS software.

It is unlikely that we will ever have the resources as a community to keep up with someone like ESRI or Autodesk on functionality. They've got an army of paid programmers at their disposal.

I think a better strategy is the one we are already following: Put into place a framework that allows people to easily build their own tools, or to add their own functionality. This is something very difficult to do with proprietary software, because they want you to pay for those upgrades, they don't want you building your own (in most cases). You also don't get to look at the guts of the software, which can make it harder to understand how the program works and the best way to extend it.

This strategy means we need to focus on a different type of customer. I don't think we should be looking for the GIS user that wants a free ESRI clone. We should be looking for the GIS user that wants the freedom to expand his software's capabilities, or to work with other users to solve a common problem in their "domain". We need to foster a community of that type of user, and make it as easy as we can for them to migrate from power user to hobby coder.

The real power in computers is not out-of-the-box software that does a million (plus one) things, but software that allows you to do exactly what you need.

This is just my own opinion. When I think about how to make OpenJUMP successful I know I have to compete on the program's strengths. OJ is never going offer all the functionality that ArcView does. However, it can offer a lot that ArcView doesn't, and I want to go after the user that is looking for those things that are missing in his proprietary software.

Landon
Office Phone Number: (209) 946-0268
Cell Phone Number: (209) 992-0658