[OSGeo-Discuss] Next 5 years for OSGeo

Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov
Tue Sep 15 10:00:21 PDT 2009

Perhaps this is related to Helena's  OSGeo Edu posting , but more efforts
towards outreach to the Elementary, Middle, and High School ( pre-college)
educational communities.  Working with them to set up pre-packaged lessons
involving geographic concepts in which you can give the student a CD/DVD
with project data and software that they could use at home  on their
Windows/Mac/Linux box.  Not just basic viewing, but some analysis as well.

Doug

Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 doug_newcomb at fws.gov

The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the
official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of the
Interior.   Life is too short for undocumented, proprietary data formats.

             Helena Mitasova
             <hmitaso at unity.nc
             su.edu>                                                    To
             Sent by:                  OSGeo Discussions
             discuss-bounces at l         <discuss at lists.osgeo.org>
             ists.osgeo.org                                             cc

                                                                   Subject
             09/14/2009 11:47          Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Next 5 years
             PM                        for OSGeo

             Please respond to
             OSGeo Discussions
             <discuss at lists.os
                 geo.org>

On Sep 14, 2009, at 11:40 PM, Howard Butler wrote:

> On Sep 14, 2009, at 4:01 PM, Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone, a recent chat I was asked about our vision for OSGeo
>> over
>> the next 3 and 5 years.  I'd really like to hear thoughts on the
>> matter
>> and pool a few of the ideas together for further discussions amongst
>> committees, projects, chapters and the board.
>>
>> It's also a good way for the board nominees in the upcoming
>> election to
>> get a sense of where other members are thinking these days.
>

> My measurement of success for OSGeo and priorities I hope it shares
> in the next 3-5 years are the following three items:
> - Continued expansion of the local chapters.  Local chapters make
> OSGeo real in the sense that mailing lists, websites, and an IRC
> channel can't.
> - The conference continues uninterrupted for the next five years,
> and we start to use it our central fundraising piece.
> - Cross-project collaboration, like the journal, osgeo4w, metacrs,
> benchmarking, system administration, and geodata continues to be
> fostered by us.  From my biased developer's perspective, these have
> been OSGeo's biggest accomplishments along with the local chapter
> development and consolidation of the conference.

+1 on these, including OSGeo Edu efforts as another example of  cross-
project collaboration

Helena