[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo Next five years

Arnie Shore shoreas at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 17:53:56 PDT 2009

As a very interested lurker, and as one who has developed an Open Source
Computer-Aided-Dispatch system that has embedded google's maps product, I
can tell you that one of the deterrents I see is the relative complexity of
an Open Source GIS implementation - as compared to the use of GMaps, which
also, of course and notably, is free. The single source of both the tiles as
well as the API is relatively straightforward for the non-cartographer
novice.

My user community includes a fair-sized portion who have never before
implemented a web-server-based system, and our package is designed to
minimize the number of elements that need  separate collection and
configuration.  To tell them that they need a map server in addition to the
stack that WAMP, XAMPP, MAMP, installs in a single executable will turn away
too many candidates, IMO.  In our case, the tile-serving capabilities could
be met by a rather limited set of server-side functions that are OL-aware.
But I haven't seen anything like that in the panoply of products that
comprises the OSGeo world.  Please correct me on this if such exits.

(Further evidence of the importance of the ease-of-implementation issue is
the proliferation of open source libraries that include capabilities taht
are based on a GMaps foundation.)

I will say that my users - many of whom are into emergency operations -
indeed are asking for an implementation that wd allow operation while
disconnected from the Internet.   Impossible in a GMaps-based solution, but
completely feasible in one based on OpenLayers plus locally stored OSM
tiles.  Users I've pointed to the available OSM sites have told me that the
level of detail wd be completely satisfactory as a suitable replacement for
GMaps.  Which is a critically important data point, IMO.

My perception of the current evolution of the world of Open Source GIS is
toward greater complexity and richness.  Which certainly makes for
excitement and challenge for its enthusiasts; but that isn't doing much for
those of us along the borders looking over the fences, and with limited
hours available to hop that fence and get involved.

Make entry easier than it is, folks.  Please?

A. Shore
Annapolis, MD