[OSGeo-Discuss] Options for setting up a Web Feature Service

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at mapforge.com.au
Sun Sep 20 19:59:25 PDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-09-21 at 12:34 +1000,
nicholas.g.lawrence at transportandmainroads.qld.gov.au wrote:
> Hello osgeo people,
>
> I am a member of a professional institution that is considering setting up
> a web feature service that publishes point locations, of members and
> offices, in a global context.
>
> The idea being to, instead of producing a map directly, to instead just
> publish the WFS, which makes the information available for mash-ups.
>
> The published data is likely to have a very small volume and only
> be updated a few times per annum.
>
> How do you go about setting up a WFS?
>
> Regards,
> nick

Without knowing more about your environment, either apache with
mapserver cgi or geoserver/tomcat.  Given what appears to be rather
lightweight requirements (at least data wise) I'd recommend the
mapserver route (easier that setting up a full java stack imho, but
others may differ on that score and perhaps you already have such a
setup available).

Few questions: Do you already have a web server earmarked for it, and if
so, what sort of server (IIS, apache...)

How is your data stored (and how would you prefer it stored)? Shapefile
(quite possibly a fair choice for a small infrequently updated data
set), PostGIS, ...

FWIW, I'd also consider a basic WMS with the WFS if only to provide a
representation of what's in the WFS for those trying to get their heads
around what WFS means.

HTH,
Tim Bowden

--