[OSGeo-Discuss] Next 5 years for OSGeo

Massimo Di Stefano massimodisasha at yahoo.it
Mon Sep 28 10:44:46 PDT 2009

Hi All,

I agree with you i think we need a "local chapter" policy, to
redistribute knowledge and organizational experience through the LC,
helping ourselves to organize hack meetings and local conferences.

I think we also need to focus on an "educational strategy" to promote
FOSS inside university departments.
A lot of people uses proprietary sw for their works not because they
think
the proprietary software is better than the FOSS, but simply because
they learned a proprietary application during their study and continue
using them without considering other sw.

(cracking sw is too easy and in my experience  I see teachers even
apply cracks or password cracked apps to their students)

So i hope to see in the next 5 years, OSGeo will improve in this
direction, giving the right weight to an educational strategy.

Regards,

Massimo.