[OSGeo-Discuss] Next 5 years for OSGeo

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Sep 30 09:03:35 PDT 2009

Rafal Wawer wrote:
> Hi Frank, For your end-users I see a lot of opportunities in developing
> countries,

Rafal,

So do I, particularly because I think in those countries people will
see that some elbow grease and investment in their own knowledge can
give them what they need for a low cost, and providing future
opportunities.

> where the cost of software licenses is far to high for the
> budgets thay have. Naturally, some of the users use cracks, but it won't be
> that easy enymore, especially in the domain of web services. OSGeo could
> support education in FOSS4G in those countries - with active marketing,
> sending information letters to the bodies responsible for mapping and
> environment.

I am a big believer in folks "pulling up their own socks" in this regard.
I am dubious about OSGeo trying to seed into countries without local
advocates, but there are things we can do to help support locals who
want promotional and training materials, and some introduction into
international circles.

Hopefully we can also provide an aura of deserved respectability
for our projects that will make it easier for decision makers to take
them seriously.

 > OSGeo could also participate in dvelopment projects - like
> those small grants of GSDI, providing FOSS solutions, not mentioning
> European FP7 projects addressing Africa. For know the quite steep learning
> curve to get into FOSS4G is very often keeping the potential users away.

There are things we can do, but to a large extent the benefits will go
to those users who realize some investment in learning is worthwhile.

> Is OSGeo targeting those users now? If you look onto the map of registered
> members: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Category:OSGeo_Member, well, not
> everyone added himself to the map, but enyway, Africa, Asia and South
> America look quite empty (-;

There are things we are doing now, including holding FOSS4G in South
Africa last year, and making an effort to involve geographically diverse
folks in the charter membership and board.  We have also been supportive
(though perhaps we could be more so) of local chapters where they are
established by local advocates.

But, clearly we still have had only modest success getting folks in
the developing world actively involved in the global OSGeo activities.

Best regards,