[OSGeo-Discuss] Next 5 years for OSGeo

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Wed Sep 30 09:37:02 PDT 2009

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> I would instead express this as OSGeo needs end users (including their
> managers), and those interested in it's marketting (which I would prefer
> to call promotion) to get more actively involved and contribute.
Education activities are, of course, one form of promotion. There is
some discussion in the Education group to try and develop a "core
curriculum" around OS Geospatial technologies. For example, what
knowledge/skills are needed for future OS Geo developers? What are
needed for end users of OS Geo technologies? I don't think we should be
competing with general GIS or GIScience curriculum, but rather focus
specifically on OS Geo related knowledge and skills.

I can imagine the software developers are working flat-out. But is it
possible that over the next 6-12 months there can be an effort between
the OSGeo edu group, along with the software groups and the local groups
together to try and establish some kind of specification of what we
think a "core curriculum" or "core competencies" in OS Geo might be and
then work toward developing open educational content that teaches these
concepts?

If this resonates with others email me and I'll build an interest list.

-- Charlie Schweik