[OSGeo-Discuss] Google Summer of Code 2010 begins

Wolf Bergenheim wolf+grass at bergenheim.net
Mon Apr 26 15:22:35 EDT 2010

Hello,

first of all we at OSGeo would like to to thank all students who
applied this year! THANK YOU :D

Then congratulations are in order for the 10 students selected to
participate in the program. Well done and welcome to the community!
We'd wanted to take more students but unfortunately that isn't
possible. For those of you who didn't get a selected we'd like to
invite you to participate in the summer anyway. If you let us know
that you intend to work on your project we're more than pleased to
help you out! Even if you won't get the Google stipend you will get
lots of experience and some very good contacts for the future. I, and
(I'm sure other mentors as well) would be happy to write letters of
recommendation to any student who complete their work, with or without
a Google sponsored contract.
If you do it without a slot you will have more freedom, but a plan is
still a very good idea since it will help you finish.

If you are curious to see what projects OSGeo is doing this year, go
over to our home page in Melange[1] and have a look. The project plans
will be detailed and wiki pages will be set up for the students within
the near future, but the accepted project abstracts should be publicly
visible.

Thank you again, all students who applied and thank you to mentors for
evaluating over 50 good proposals and selecting the top 10 slots.

I will be sending further instructions to students and mentors later
this week, for now, relax, and get to know your Student/Mentor(s).

The summer is on!
Wolf Bergenheim,
OSGeo GSoC 2010 Administrator

[1] http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/org/home/google/gsoc2010/osgeo