[OSGeo-Discuss] What GeoSpatial Open Source Software do Surveyors use?

maria.brovelli at diiar-topo.polimi.it maria.brovelli at diiar-topo.polimi.it
Fri Apr 2 05:08:31 PDT 2010

Hi Cameron
Def. Quota Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com>:

> Thank you Marina,
> That is a good example.
> To be complete, could you also answer:

> * What would be the proprietary equivalent software you would use?

to filter the LiDAr point cloud the most used software is  Terrasolid
Terrascan
(http://www.3dlasermapping.com/en/airborne/software/terrascan.htm)
which is a very powefull tool.

> * Why did you decide to use GRASS instead of proprietary software?
> (Hopefully more than "it was cheaper")

because we developed original algorithms for filtering.
In any case filtering LiDAR data with a high accuracy level is quite
impossible if you decide to simply use  an authomatic procedure. Our
method can be an alternative to Terrascan (being the algorithms
completely different from those implemented in Terrascan) to verify
the authomatic detection of  terrain points.

> * It seems you are officiated with a University? Industry is more
> convinced by case studies that come out of industry, as universities
> are often associated with "smart geeks, who have a high tollerance
> to things going wrong because they can fix it themselves". Is there
> a non-education affilition you can draw upon? Did you do this work
> for a governement department or similar?

No, I work at Politecnico di Milano (so, University) and the
development of such tools has been made in the frame of a national
(italian) research project.

Cheers.
Maria