[OSGeo-Discuss] are there any unpaid developers?

Andrew Turner ajturner at highearthorbit.com
Mon Apr 19 19:49:39 PDT 2010

Ian Turton wrote:
> One of my students was asking today about the open source development
> process (with special reference to geospatial projects). One question
> I'm left with is are there any OSGEO developers who are doing this
> just for the fun and fame? I know that a lot of us have fun developing
> but everyone I could think of (GeoTools, GeoServer, uDig) gets paid to
> have that fun.

What is interesting is that many people I know that are now paid weren't
when they first started using Open-Source (geo and non-geo). I for one,
was able to first start as a hobby, then consult, then build businesses
around open-source tools precisely because there was no initial capital
costs, as well as a community to converse with. Over time, as my skills
improved jobs also came through that I could begin tackling.

So while there are many people that develop open-source purely for
hobby, I imagine there is a very large number that started out unpaid
and became paid as both their skills grew, the tools became more
widespread, and customers adopted, or opted, for open-source.

In Academia, students have many tools, many with expensive licenses,
available 'for free', so the capital costs are not a limiting factor.

Andrew
@ajturner