[OSGeo-Discuss] are there any unpaid developers?

Yves Moisan yves.moisan at boreal-is.com
Tue Apr 20 05:40:51 PDT 2010

Le 2010-04-19 23:44, Christopher Schmidt a écrit :
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 06:00:45PM -0400, Ian Turton wrote:
>
>> One of my students was asking today about the open source development
>> process (with special reference to geospatial projects). One question
>> I'm left with is are there any OSGEO developers who are doing this
>> just for the fun and fame? I know that a lot of us have fun developing
>> but everyone I could think of (GeoTools, GeoServer, uDig) gets paid to
>> have that fun.
>>
> About 80% of my work on OpenLayers has been entirely unpaid and
> unsupported by anyone for the past couple years. The early days of OL
> were a MetaCarta project, and some portion of my work time is still done
> with support from my employer on open source software, but most of it is
> just me spending my own time.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  I admire the resilience,
energy and passion of FOSS developers, but there is no way (IMO of
course) someone can work a 40-hour week and have 20-30 hours to spend on
their computers hobbying AND 1) do all the sport they should be doing to
keep themselves in shape + take care of their kids and families + go to
a concert more than once every decade + do all what life really is
about.  Governments should spend some of their resources to pay people
to maintain the commons.  Otherwise depending on heroic efforts is not
my definition of sustainability.

Yves