[OSGeo-Discuss] Any thoughts on the potential for using Seadragon as a map browsing interface?

Jason Birch jason at jasonbirch.com
Tue Apr 27 22:06:02 PDT 2010

It is pretty cool, but I believe that it just uses pyramid tiling +
XML definition file in the background, with some sexy SL/JS
transitions.
I was marginally involved in developing Nanaimo's Public Art Inventory
web app, which uses the JS version of Seadragon to present
high-resolution photos of public art. I don't think the image format
is documented, but could be wrong. We ended up using DLLs from MS's
Deep Zoom Composer to generate the tile sets.

IIRC there have been a couple open source efforts (Deep Zoom Earth?)
using this technology for mapping.

Jason