[OSGeo-Discuss] Best tool, shapefile to png, web

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Tue Aug 17 10:00:34 EDT 2010

Peter,

   If all you want to do is render a shapefile to a png image using a command
line (once? twice? many times?) then mapserver's shp2img is a good solution, or
even GDAL's gdal_rasterize (http://www.gdal.org/gdal_rasterize.html).

   But if you need a web mapping framework (html, javascript, etc) to provide
the end-user with pan/zoom, layer selection and other tools, have a look at
GeoMoose (http://www.geomoose.org).  If you're using Windows, the MS4W  package
(http://www.maptools.org/ms4w/) can supply the server-side components, including
mapserver.  With MS4W, you can install Geomoose and start viewing the demo data
within minutes.

   And if you're looking to maximize performance of web mapping apps by
pre-rendering, you're talking about Tiling.  One of the best explanation of this
I've found is at http://www.maptiler.org/.  But it doesn't cover how to create
tiles of vector data.  I've just started to look into this myself by reading the
Mapnik doc (http://mapnik.org/)...

Best Regards,
Brent Fraser