[OSGeo-Discuss] Automatic-Metadata Catalogueing [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Bruce Bannerman B.Bannerman at bom.gov.au
Wed Aug 25 19:54:39 EDT 2010

Timmie,

The Australian Government's Office of Spatial Data Management (OSDM) has been coordinating a few resources relating to Metadata that you may find of use.

They are aimed at the ANZLIC Profile of ISO 19115 / 19139, however they are also relevant to other users of the standards as well.

(fyi, ANZLIC is Australia and New Zealand's SDI Governance body.

Also , essentially there is minimal difference between the ANZLIC Profile and the default ISO standard).

Items of interest:

[1] OSDM Metadata entry point.

[2] Metadata resources page.

[3] What we're planning with GeoNetwork.

[4] An introduction to using ISO 19115. In particular, I'd recommend checking out
     the document 'ANZLIC Metadata Profile Guidelines'. It gives a good overview
     of why we need Metadata.

[5] The ANZMet Toolkit.

[6] ANZMet Lite: A stand alone Metadata Entry tool that generates ISO 19139 XML records
      that can be imported into GeoNetwork. While I do not consider it an appropriate Enterprise
     grade tool, it does provide an interesting 'Wizard' type user interface to guide people
    through the entry of their Spatial Metadata. The Australian Government retains the
    IP to this product. If there is sufficient interest, I understand that OSDM may be willing
    to release the source code under an appropriate Open Source license. (It is Windows
    based and I think uses MS Access).

[7] A page containing presentations describing and showing the ANZMet Lite user interface.

Congratulations to OSDM for putting this excellent resource together.

And before we get too complacent, consideration should go to Rob Atkinson's and Rob Woodcock's (Australia's CSIRO) vision of future Spatial Metadata, where metadata is stored and exchanged as part of the data (and data model), ideally via OGC GML Community Schema / Profiles.

Bruce Bannerman

(apologies Markus, I won't have time in the next few weeks to add this to the wiki...)

[1] http://www.osdm.gov.au/Metadata/default.aspx

[2] http://www.osdm.gov.au/Metadata/ANZLIC+metadata+resources/default.aspx

[3] http://www.osdm.gov.au/Metadata/GeoNetwork/default.aspx

[4] http://www.osdm.gov.au/Metadata/ANZLIC+Metadata+Profile/default.aspx

[5] http://www.osdm.gov.au/Metadata/ANZLIC+metadata+resources/ANZMet+Toolkit+%28final+draft+-+07.2009%29/default.aspx

[6] http://www.osdm.gov.au/Metadata/ANZLIC+metadata+resources/ANZMet+Toolkit+(final+draft+-+07.2009)/ANZMetLiteSetup-1.01.zip/?id=959

[7] http://www.osdm.gov.au/Metadata/ANZLIC+metadata+resources/ANZMet+Toolkit+(final+draft+-+07.2009)/06_1QuickStartIntroToANZMetLite.pdf/?id=999

On 26/08/10 3:41 AM, "Markus Neteler" <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 6:40 PM, Timmie <timmichelsen at gmx-topmail.de> wrote:
> Hello,
> I have piled up quite some data for a current project.
>
> In order to keep track of the data I would like to use some automatic indexing
> to create a data catalog.

Important issue! Time ago I put together this Wiki page:
 http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Metadata_software

Please add all new findings to it,

Markus