[OSGeo-Discuss] mxd to other format (i.e. shapefile)

George Silva georger.silva at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 19:25:02 PDT 2010

You must be confusing things here Maning,

Mxd is the format that ArcGIS uses to store *mapdocuments*, while
shapefiles/database geometry data/coverages/rasters are displayed on that
map. If you only have the mxd you won't be able to convert anything to
shapefile. You need the original data.

A Mxd is much like an HTML. It provides information on how content is
organized, but it's not content itself.

George

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 11:21 PM, maning sambale
<emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com>wrote:

> No luck so far looking for a converter.
>
> Basically, I want to export geometry and attributes without the
> styling from an Arc's mxd format to shapefile.
>
> Any workaround here (other then looking for an ArcGIS installed machine)?
> --
> cheers,
> maning

George R. C. Silva