[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: Automatic-Metadata Catalogueing

Timmie timmichelsen at gmx-topmail.de
Tue Aug 24 04:22:37 PDT 2010

> Nice to hear that you found the script and got it to work!  I'd love to see
what fixes you applied and would roll
> them into the official code.
On Windows there was no $HOME directory.

> How you use the resulting xml brings up a good question.
Metaedit can open it.
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/qgismetaedit/
The question is now how we could produce to

> How did you envision using the metadata results?
I wanted to search or query the files for their extend and attribute features.
I received a bunch of data sets from the providers and wanted to check whether
these contain the required information.
It's administrative information that follows a certain scheme.
I additionally want to use it as project documentation tool to show the other
colleagues what data was used in the project.
Like:
For each federal state we have
a) land use in forlder x
b) boundaries in forlder y
c) ...

> My plans were to build a gui and simple query system next.  But ultimately I
want a tool in my desktop GIS to
> allow quick browsing and loading of certain layers easily.
Yes, we are think of the same. But set ontop of a existing GIS like QGIS.
What they have done in ArcCatalogue can be replicated.

> There are some hacks in there that can output sql or csv if you need something
simpler.
Would you show me such a CSV hack?

What do you think of adding the script to gdal/ogr project?

Best regards,
Timmie