[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo Humanitarian GIS guide

Andrew Turner ajturner at highearthorbit.com
Tue Jan 19 14:55:37 EST 2010

Hi - I just was looking over the good MapAction GIS Field guide
(http://www.mapaction.org/content/view/183/59/)

I was wondering if OSGeo had a comparable guide. It could talk about how
to use cross-platform tools such as QGIS or others to utilize both open
data sources like OpenStreetMap shapefiles, as well as web services like
WFS/WMS for field operations.

A more advanced section could specifically talk about setting up a
WFS/WMS using OpenStreetMap and other data using something like GeoServer.

The goal behind this guide would be to immediately give to volunteers in
remotely, as well as responders in Haiti that have come to rely on
OpenStreetMap as their data source on how to leverage OSGeo tools to
pull down, host locally on servers, and update remotely.

Just as an enticement - there are 8+ cities hosting CrisisCamps this
coming Saturday. If you're local to one, I encourage you to show up and
train people on OSGeo tools. Last weekend in DC there were 30+ people
learning how to update OSM data using web based tools and QGIS.

Thanks!
Andrew

--
Andrew Turner