[OSGeo-Discuss] Opensource Geospatial Job Tracking Software

Robert Hollingsworth reh2 at prodigy.net
Wed Jan 6 12:42:20 PST 2010

I also wondered if the original question is much broader than the
utility/telco cases I mentioned.  Your question is probably the most
important to answer here:

"Is there really a
spatial aspect in the requirements to track GIS related jobs ?"

My preference is that the answer be, largely, "NO."  I'm not well versed in
business process state management software; my instincts tell me that
in basic spatial data migration, the spatial aspect does not really
introduce any wrinkles that cannot be handled.  Hopefully, in more
complex scenarios where the answer might appear to be "Yes," one
could data-model the exception case out of existence.

An exploration of the referenced ESRI job-tracker might be instructive here.

I'll see if I can come up with any cases where proper process state
management is truly dependent on geometry.  Any one else?

Robert

Following this discussion I wondered whether I got the question wrong
or I'm working too far away from utilities business area but isn't job
tracking like any other workflow and therefore can be supported by
standard workflow or business process systems ? Is there really a
spatial aspect in the requirements to track GIS related jobs ?

>From my point of view an integration between a standard workflow tool
and a GI System should be able to solve the problem, shouldn't it ?

This integration is development work and you are right there could be a
standard solution for certain OS GI Systems in the form of an OS
project ...

I too would like to stay in the loop discussing this topic further ...

Mit freundlichen Gruessen/Kind regards,
Andreas Paukner-Ruzicka
(Geschaeftsfuehrer/Managing Director)

Robert Hollingsworth wrote:

        I believe this has a lot of overlap with 'Work Mgmt' as
expressed in the

utillities and telecoms, which centers on the Work Order as the

primary abstraction for tracking Create/Update/Delete both on database

objects and the physical assets they model.  Usually involves specific

states ('Proposed', 'Existing', 'Abandoned', 'Removed, etc.), version

management, provisions for advancing the state of the Work Order

when detached from the database, and so forth.

I'd be interested in discussing further, as this is one of the
capabilities

that would advance the cause of FOSS4G in utilities and telecoms.

Robert H.

> I am currently looking out for web based Open source Geospatial Job

> Tracking Software similar to Job Tracking for ArcGIS?

> http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/extensions/jobtracking/index.html

> Are there any open source projects  out there that you know of that

> cover these features similar to ESRI product?

> Regards

> Kumaran

This is a good question and I'm very interested in any answers you

receive.  This sort of workflow/project management software is much

needed in the GIS industry sector and I've not seen any open source

options out there that met my specific needs when I looked previously.

One that might help at least on the conersion/transformation side is

Talend studio with it's spatial component:

          http://www.spatialdataintegrator.com/

But that's likely only one piece of the puzzle.  I believe that much of

what is required for job tracking and workflow can be developed through

some simple web interfaces, with open source apps sitting on the server

side.   I've taken several attempts on doing this but never devoted

enough time/focus to get very far.  If any else is interested in

developing such tools, I'd be interested in discussing it further.  I

believe these are necessary to streamline workflow and gain back

efficiency that has been lost during the industry's general move toward

using point-click GUI environments for everything.

Tyler