[OSGeo-Discuss] OpenLayers for the Vancouver Olympics 2010 Weather Web Map

Alexandre Leroux alexandre.leroux at ec.gc.ca
Thu Jan 21 11:51:42 PST 2010

Hi OSGeo enthusiasts,

Ok, I admit this web map provides little features, but it's a first step
for us and it's using OpenLayers on a heavy traffic website (I've been
told 80 million daily hits!).

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/2010/slf/index_e.html

Here's what I just shared on Slashgeo
(http://slashgeo.org/article.pl?sid=10/01/21/1942228 ).

= = = = = = = =
Vancouver Olympics 2010 Weather Web Map

There's a new product available on WeatherOffice, the Canadian weather
forecasts site. Called 'Street Level Forecast', this web mapping
prototype offers point and click weather forecasts and hourly graphs
over the Vancouver Olympics 2010 area (please select "Graph detail:
High" for better viewing).

As a web mapping product, it doesn't offer much features, but it is
still an important first step for the Meteorological Service of Canada
to provide more web maps and geospatial web services in the future.
WeatherOffice is a traffic-heavy site - I've been told it has about 80
million daily hits.

The SLF prototype uses OpenLayers.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Alexandre Leroux, M.Sc., Ing.
Section de la réponse aux urgences environnementales /