[OSGeo-Discuss] Anyone Know What's Happened to All the NAIP Servers?

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Tue Jul 27 14:49:54 EDT 2010

Up until just a few days ago, USDA NAIP (US Dept of Agriculture's
National Agriculture Inventory Program) 1-meter aerial imagery was
available free from several government servers but suddenly they all
seem to have gone dark. Both the USGS ArcGIS and USDA.gov servers and a
couple of AFPO sources seemed to have dried up simultaneously. Doe
anyone know why? Is it going to be restored or scrapped? Is It is
available elsewhere?

I was using the USGS server at
http://isse.cr.usgs.gov/arcgis/services/Combined/USGS_EDC_Ortho_NAIP/MapServer/WMSServer?
but it's now broadcasting  a runtime error instead of images. I hope
it's not gone for good because it is a great source for free aerial
imagery. So if anyone knows what's happened or what's unfolding here I'd
like to find out. With the GeoCommunicator site announcing its shut-down
soon I'm getting concerned that something bigger might be happening to
US govt. spatial data resources.

- Bill Thoen