[OSGeo-Discuss] How to make a map on a CD [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Mike Toews mwtoews at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 10:31:00 PDT 2010

On 1 July 2010 07:22, Arthur Molina <arthurmolina at yahoo.com.br> wrote:

> Isn't GeoPDF a proprietary and payed format?

It is an open Standard. Both OGC 08-139r1 and ISO 32000. However, I've
never seen it used outside of the Adobe/ESRI scope, so a better
question is what OS software either support rendering or displaying
GeoPDFs?

Considering my impressions of the state of GeoPDF, I don't think it
ins't the best option for distributing data on a CD. My suggestion is
to store the vector data in SHP or Spatialite format, and have a
desktop GIS on the same LiveCD. My vote is for Quantum GIS (QGIS)
since it is the easiest to make a nice looking map that is also
interactive.

-Mike