[OSGeo-Discuss] new osgeo IRC channels

Tyler Mitchell tmitchell.osgeo at shaw.ca
Mon Jul 5 11:08:12 PDT 2010

> On 07/05/2010 06:46 PM, Joanne Cook wrote:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I'd like to set up an IRC channel for the UK chapter, and
> looking at
> > the wiki it would seem best to set one up on freenode. Having very
> > little experience of IRC the information on the freenode site seemed
> > quite hard work. Do we need to go through this group registration
> > process http://freenode.net/group_registration.shtml or is that
> > covered by the wider OSGeo group? What have other local chapters
> > done?

> 1. Hop on irc and open channel #osgeo_uk

Name it #osgeo-uk and you instantly are registered under OSGeo's group registration!  We have a wildcard group control agreement with freenode - so anything with "osgeo-" at the beginning is ours :)  No need to use that group registration thing!  Then some sysops in #osgeo can help if you need some more advance privileges (highly unlikely).